Ants, according to many experts, top the lists of structural pests. Fortunately, most ant species live outdoors. However, when they nest near structures they can become a nuisance, get into our food, pose a health threat and/or cause structural damage.
Ants go through a complete metamorphosis of which there are four stages: egg, larva, pupa, and adult.
Most customers will only encounter an adult ant.
The Four MOST COMMON Ants found in and around NYC are:
Odorous house ant – Brown to black in color and 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch in size. Known for the odor given off when they are killed. Found foraging for food inside many homes.
Pharaoh ant – Light yellow to reddish brown in color and only about 1/16 of an inch in size. Their nests, which are extensions of the colony, are a major pest inside many buildings.
Pavement ant – Dark brown to black in color and 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch in size. Known for making their colonies in the cracks of pavement but commonly found foraging for food inside homes.
Carpenter ant – Red, black, or a combination of both and larger than most other house ants ranging from 1/18 to 1/2 of an inch long. Colonies are formed in moist, decaying wood and they can cause structural damages to buildings
Managing Pest Infestation:
• Pest proofing and sanitation to keep ants out
• Treating the nest directly
• Pesticide treatment
• Pesticide treatment comes in a few forms:
• Liquid and gel baits which contain sugar.
• Granules, pastes, and liver bait offer protein to ants.
• Do not leave open food on the kitchen counters
• Seal open food in containers with tight fitting lids
• Wipe up spills and crumbs right away
• Deep clean the kitchen to remove grease or other food build ups
• Check that the exterior of your home is properly sealed with no cracks or crevices
• Secure all windows with screens free of holes
• Remove any moist and decaying wood from your property
Call or Text NeXterminate for your pest control needs today! (929) 400-7520