Ants, according to many experts, top the lists of structural pests. Fortunately, most ant species live outdoors. However, when they nest near structures they can become a nuisance, get into our food, pose a health threat and/or cause structural damage.
Ants go through a complete metamorphosis of which there are four stages: egg, larva, pupa, and adult.
Most customers will only encounter an adult ant.
The Five MOST COMMON Ants:
Fire ant – Reddish in color and about 1.6 to 5 mm in size. Fire ants favor warm, sunny conditions. They prefer dry fields and avoid shady areas such as woods. Typical mounds can grow up to 61 cm in diameter and 18 cm high. These colonies can contain several hundred thousand ants, including at least one queen.
Odorous house ant – Brown to black in color and 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch in size. Known for the odor given off when they are killed. Found foraging for food inside many homes.
Pharaoh ant – Light yellow to reddish-brown in color and only about 1/16 of an inch in size. Their nests, which are extensions of the colony, are a major pest inside many buildings.
Pavement ant – Dark brown to black in color and 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch in size. Known for making their colonies in the cracks of pavement but commonly found foraging for food inside homes.
Carpenter ant – Red, black, or a combination of both and larger than most other house ants ranging from 1/18 to 1/2 of an inch long. Colonies are formed in moist, decaying wood and they can cause structural damages to buildings
Managing Pest Infestation:
• Pest proofing and sanitation to keep ants out
• Treating the nest directly
• Pesticide treatment
• Pesticide treatment comes in a few forms:
• Liquid and gel baits which contain sugar.
• Granules, pastes, and liver bait offer protein to ants.
• Do not leave open food on the kitchen counters
• Seal open food in containers with tight-fitting lids
• Wipe up spills and crumbs right away
• Deep clean the kitchen to remove grease or other food build ups
• Check that the exterior of your home is properly sealed with no cracks or crevices
• Secure all windows with screens free of holes
• Remove any moist and decaying wood from your property
Call or Text NeXterminate for your pest control needs today! (305) 814-8289